Monday, July 27, 2009

Highlander





SINGAPORE - In Asia it's terribly difficult to find decent coffee. I am sure that they grow great beans in this side of the world. However, I don't think it's their forte to handle and grind beans the proper way. I think this is owing to the fact that Asians are really more tea drinkers, and the coffee drinking culture isn't really there. In Singapore you have Milk Tea and other Coffees, but most of it is drowned in condensed milk.

Most people I meet (in Asia) don't understand my fixation for proper decent coffee (no sugar please!). I've had really great coffee when I was living in London so I can really tell the difference between cat piss (Starsucks) and a proper coffee. So when I moved here and when my brother-in-law emailed me to check out Highlander Cafe, it was on my list of places to check out. Almost a year later... ta-dah!

It's located in Kampong Bahru, which for me was rather tricky to get to. So I took a taxi to get here. I think most of it's clientel are the people working in the vicinity, because they later told me that they were shocked that I arrived in a taxi and obviously making the effort to trek to their cafe! Haha! The cafe is really tiny but cosy (and independent -- the way I like it!). The bigger area at the back of their cafe is where they train baristas. So back to the coffee, I was debating on whether I should have a macchiato or a cappuccino... weighing the odds.
'I will only know if the coffee is good if I have an espresso or macchiato... but I haven't had a decent cup of cappuccino in AGES..."
more thinking...
"I'll have a cappuccino".

It wasn't the best cup of coffee I've had, but it wasn't the worst either. I think it was nice to check it out for the experience and for the adventure of getting there (and finding a way back home!).


No comments:

Post a Comment