Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I Have SIN! Day Two (Part One)

So day two of my trip started with me waking up to a room smelling like I had a smoker for a roommate. I wasn't happy about that specially because I specified that I wanted a double bed, which I didn't get (let that slide) and I specified a non-smoking room/floor, didn't get that either. I was determined not to let things get to me and just enjoy what I could.


I went to have my first swim. At 7 am it was deserted. I was quite happy that I had the place to myself, only there were no life guards, no hotel staff in the area -- nothing! It kind of freaked me out (28 Days Later-esque). I wandered around the area, looking where I could change and get a towel. I found the changing rooms eventually, but still no towels. I manage to spot some towels in the gym (that too was deserted), but when I unfolded the towel it was slightly bigger than a hand towel. I guess that'll do, better than nothing, I thought. After a few laps (widthwise and not lengthwise -- the pool beautiful as it may be, freaked me out), I towelled myself off and rested on the lounge chairs. I then saw a fellow guest pull out a proper sized towels in a glassed cabinet at the pool-side bar. I eventually got up, took my stuff and my bruised ego back to my room and got ready for breakfast.


After having a great breakfast, on my way up to my room, the concierge greeted me and asked me how everything was. I said everything was going great (and it was) but told him about the problem regarding the smell of the room. He asked me if I would like to be moved. I told him I would be very pleased if he could manage it. He returns to me to me and says "I can give you a new room Madame, how long will you need to pack?". Fantastic! Within 15 minutes I was packed and moved to a new room. With no stench of smoke, a better view, but still -- twin beds.


I decided that for day two I would go back to Orchard Road and spend the morning shopping. Only, I got out of the Orchard Rd Station, walked a few blocks and then it started to piss down with rain.


It went from this:


Wheelock PlaceShops

To this within minutes!


Orchard Road Rain

Not a good day to be wearing a skirt and sandals, the puddles of water make it hard for me to walk! Anyhoo, I managed to back track and seek shelter first in Massimo Dutti. I wanted to check it out anyway. I eventually had to leave that store because I was dripping all over the place! The only next place for me to seek shelter was a bleeding Starbucks! I was stuck in there for about an hour, waiting for the rain to calm down. I sat in there thinking, off all the bloody places to be stuck on a holiday! When the heavy rain turned into drizzles, I went back to Wheelock Place (from the day before). I wanted to have a better look at what shops were there and found that they had quite a few unique shops. Roaming the very cool conical building I went up the escalator, which was going up in a curving fashion. Way cool! I saw this shop called Snails, I was very tempted to get my nails done. It was different from going to your usual salon. Everything about it yelled - PAMPER! But my wallet yelled back - 75 SG DOLLARS?!?!!! Maybe next time...


Wisma Atria Mall

The rain had stopped so I moved on to the next mall -- Wisma Atria. Shops and more shops! Most of them were shops from London, enough to make you go insane! But I wasn't winning in the shopping front, and I realized that it was time for lunch. I had heard about Food Republic, again from blogs. It's basically a food court, only much nicer in my opinion. I couldn't decide where to eat and what to eat. The queues were rather long, so I ended up having Unagi Maki... Not a Singaporean meal... but when you are tired and hungry, anything will do.


Lunch @ Food RepublicLunch @ Food Republic Food Court

After a going in and out a few shopping centers, I ended up at Paragon. This became my favorite place in SG to shop and but mostly window shop. Most of the brands are high-end, but you do have a few non high-end brands. The best part is that it has one of my favorite shops in London -- MUJI!!


ParagonParagon

Exploring Paragon, I ended up at the basement food court, which is where I was re-united with my childhood. There used to be a stall called Orange Julius in one of the supermarkets. And they had the best orange juice shake and hotdogs in town. There would always be queues. I decided to give it ago, wondering if it tasted like it did when I was a child. I hate to say it, but it did!


Orange Julius @ Paragon

I left Paragon, and wondered off to another mall which I later found out was called The Heeren. There was a crowd gathered around a stage. I am not one to check these things out, but I saw this 'woman' dancing to Madonna's music. I realized that she was a guy. This sight made me laugh and amused for reasons I don't know why. But I left and went into HMV, but then was drawn back out and realized it was a dance off.


Dance off @ HeerenDance off @ Heeren

There was something about the vibe of this event, that didn't make me roll my eyes it like normally would. It was making everyone smile, it made me smile that's for sure. Check out this young Indian guy's feet! He dances like Michael Jackson!










I had left the Heeren and decided that today, apart from a few Muji purchases, was not a shopping day. Shopping for clothes in SG was hard, unless you are skeletal, clothes just don't fit right. I had to throw in the towel (yes the one from this morning's swim), and slowly call it a day. I was tired. But a happy tired. There was something about the vibe that afternoon that was just so lively but relaxed. I literally had a smile plastered on my face. Walking like a mad woman smiling for no reason. While walking, something else that I saw was was making me laugh.


On the huntTaking it off

There was a media crew walking a few paces ahead of me trying to get men to take off their shirts. For what reason or what they were promoting, I don't have a clue. A few young men were quite willing to do so, and some walked away in embarrassment. But there was a middle age Turkish man who was approach and was only but willing to take his shirt off! It is only in London that I used to see this crazy and funny things on the street. I didn't bother to wait to see him take his shirt off and I wasn't planning to photograph it as well! So I entered one of the funkiest buildings on Orchard Rd...


Singapore Visitor Centre

It's a place dedicated for tourist who wants any information about tourism in Singapore. What to do in the evenings, how to plan your holiday, booking for things, wall to wall of brochures and maps in different languages! Really smart.


I was really tired at this point, my feet were really killing me and I decided that I would take the taxi home. A new experience. I got a taxi within minutes. There is a part in Orchard Rd where taxi's queue up to take passengers. I got in and told the driver where I was staying. I got a really nice taxi driver, he asked me if I was on holiday and asked me if I had been on the Singapore Flyer. I said, no but that I was planning to. And he replied by saying "What's wrong with you! You are a very slow tourist!" hahahaha!!!! I responded by saying that I was a woman and that I did the shopping bit first. He gave me the most brilliant tip about going on the Singapore Flyer. He said, "Go at around 7 - 7:15 in the evening. It will still be daylight but by the time you reach the top you will have the reached the night view, so you get to see both day and night views". That was really smart! He then whipped out his mobile phone and handed it to me and said "Here watch..." and it was a clip of when he was on the flyer!


While he drove he was gave me a bit of background about the area I was staying in, and I decided, that the rest of the evening, I would go around Tanjong Pagar and the Chinatown area. He dropped me off at the hotel, and earnestly wished me a great holiday.


End of part one!

No comments:

Post a Comment