
Champorado is a typical Filipino dish that can be eaten at breakfast or as an afternoon snack. It is basically chocolate rice porridge that is made from glutinous rice, sugar, cocoa and milk. Growing up, we normally would buy the champorado mix at the supermarket. But I learned from my sister that it was dead easy to make and decided to give it a go.
I have come to the conclusion that Champorado originates from Mexico (Galleon Trade connection, I assume). Champurrado in Mexico is a warm thick chocolate drink which they drink for breakfast. It is made from masa harina, piloncillo (small blocks or bricks of unrefined solid cane sugar), water or milk. Just like the Philippine version, their Champurrado is also available as a mix in the supermarket. (Must ask Paula to send me some!)
The best way to have the Philippine Champorado is chilled the next day, which is exactly how I will have it tomorrow. Yum!
No comments:
Post a Comment