
East meets Middle East! One of the many things I miss about living in London is the diversity of food. True, British food isn't anything to write home about, but the people who have migrated there have at least brought their food along with them. I would have Hummus quite often when I was living there. Me and the guys at work would regularly go for lunch to Hummus Bros at Wardour Street, and have their Lamb with Hummus and Pita Bread. Extremely good. Occasionally, I would simply buy a tub of Hummus from the shops and drizzle some olive oil in and eat with a baguette. Something I learned from my Arabic friend. Well, if Mohammed won't go to the mountain, the mountain must come to Mohammed. So today, I made my own Hummus bi Tahina. I must say, I was rather proud that it came out quite good. Here is my "Idiot's Guide to Hummus".
I went through several recipes on the internet to find the right one. I eventually had to find a common denominator and came up with this. A few recipes out there suggest that you need not add Tahina/Tahini in your hummus. I feel the complete opposite, you must add this vital ingredient.
Ingredients:

240g canned Chickpeas (drained)
90 ml Tahina/Tahini
1 1/2 Lemon (juice)
4 garlic cloves crushed
4 tsp Cumin powder
2 tsp salt
4 tbsp water
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp Paprika
Procedure:


Combine all ingredients in a food processor and whiz to a creamy purée. That easy.
The only thing you must do, is taste it after you whiz it up. If you feel that it may be bland, adding more cumin, paprika, lemon juice or olive oil helps. Hummus is best eaten when chilled in the fridge, and adding a drizzle of olive oil on top when ready to eat with warm pita bread (which I failed to have!). Lastly, you must tell me how it went!
No comments:
Post a Comment